Workplace Daily Law reports that the HSE investigation which followed discovered that the builder had been wearing only a dust mask for protection as he removed a number of Asbestos Insulating Boards (AIBs) from the ceiling. It was also revealed that he broke these into pieces and put the uncovered panels on the householder's driveway. It transpired that the builder hadn't had a survey done and had no idea that the material he was removing was in fact asbestos, and as a result he failed to advise the house owners of the risk. Perhaps if he had been licensed he'd have known what he was working with!
It's always worth knowing what you are dealing with, and finding a contractor who has the right competence, awareness and training to do the job properly and without putting themselves and you at risk.